How To File Self Employment Taxes Online ?
Many people are now self employed, especially after the recent economic downturn in the United States. Even these self employed people have to pay their taxes. They can physically fill out the tax form, or they can pay online. Most prefer the online mode as it is easier and more convenient. However, there are many who do not know how to file self employment taxes online.
So, here is how you can file your self-employment taxes along with your federal income taxes:
- Log on to the IRS website to understand the process through the instructions given there on filing the self-employment takes. Each of the small business asked mentioned there is different and you would need an official answer for your many, nagging queries.
- You can file the Schedule Self Employment (SE) form along with your federal income tax form. You can either fill up the short form or a long form, depending upon your eligibility, which you can find out from the instructions in the form’s worksheet. Schedule SE is used for calculating the social security tax. Many people are quite shocked at the amount they have to pay in the first year of business for the social security tax and moreover, it mostly turns out to be an amount more than they had quite expected.
- You also need to file Schedule C or CEZ that is used to take into account, your profits or losses from the business. You will have to include the financial details of your business, along with their expenses and receipts and if applicable, also the open and closing inventory.
- You might also have to file a few more schedules and forms, so starting early would help you in a long way so that you can afford to take time in case you get delayed due to any mistake. You might also have to file Form 8829 for using your home premises for business purposes or Form 4562 for Depreciation and Amortization.
- Electronic filing of the taxes are easier and a smooth process to go through.
More Articles :