Causes Of Right Sided Chest Pain
The chest houses several organs, like the lungs, heart, and esophagus, and any pain left in the chest should never be taken lightly. This said, right sided chest pain usually does not have a cardiac reason associated with it, but it should not be neglected as it could be a problem with some or the other organ located within the chest cavity.
Some of the causes of right sided chest pain are described below:
- Exerting too much is one of the most common causes for right sided chest pain. In this kind of pain, the severity of the pain tends to get worse with certain movements. Invariably, this pain is caused due to tenderness of the muscles of the chest.
- Many common viral infections, like cold or flu, can result in pain in the right side of the chest. Usually, this kind of pain will worsen when the person breathes deeply or coughs. If the infection is not severe, it will take its own course and go away. However, the pain may stay for a few more days before subsiding completely. On the other hand, if the infection is severe, it may need anti-viral medication and some painkillers to alleviate the pain in the chest and other associated symptoms.
- Pleurisy is a lung problem that cause chest pain. This causes pain in the right side of the chest which tends to worsen when the person breathes deeply or coughs.
- Any problem with the digestive tract can cause a pain to occur in the right side of the chest. Invariably, it has been seen that this pain occurs more frequently due to gas and acidity.
- Gallbladder problems can also cause right side chest pain. However, in most cases, the pain actually begins in the abdominal region and extends to the chest. It has been seen that usually the pain develops after a person has consumed fat laden foods. One of the most common gallbladder diseases that result in right side chest pain is gallbladder stones.
- Inflammation of the liver can also result in pain in the right side of the chest. Usually, this pain is felt on the right shoulder and right ribs while radiating to the back. In case you do experience pain like this, it is best to have a checkup done by a qualified doctor.
- Problems with the working of the pancreas can also cause pain in the right side of the chest.
- When ingesting some kind of liquid or food and it gets stuck in the esophagus, it can cause pain in the right side of the chest. Usually, this occurs when air is also ingested with the liquid and food and it is this air that gets stuck in the esophagus causing excruciating pain for a few moments. However, when the air passes into the stomach, the pain disappears. It is not a cause for worry.
- As strange as it may sound, even stress and anxiety can cause a pain in the right side of the chest.
As there are several reasons for pain to develop in the right side of the chest, it is best to get yourself examined by a doctor to find the underlying cause of the pain. Some of the causes are serious and require proper medical intervention, while others are insignificant and do not warrant medical treatment.
Next Articles :